Hours of Operation: Monday thru Friday, 7:00am – 3:30pm
About the Department
The Public Works Department is responsible for maintaining 16.54 miles of Borough-owned road and 3.09 miles of PennDOT-owned, for a total of 19.63 miles; street sweeping; street signs; park maintenance, which includes mowing roughly 60 acres, per week, between the parks and other Borough-owned lots; building maintenance (29 total); tree branch and leaf collection; vehicle maintenance; and assisting the Refuse and Recycling department, mainly, and any other departments as needed.
- The Main Street Park has 550 trees mature enough to be tagged and inventoried. Some are as old as 200.
- It takes one person working eight hours per day, for one month, to sweep every road in town from curb to curb.
- We recycle around 150 tons of leaves every year during leaf collection.
- It takes one day each to paint the “brick crosswalks” on Main Street at Whiteoak Street and College Boulevard.
- For every three inches of snow, it takes 10 pieces of equipment and 10 laborers roughly five hours to plow the entire town. This is why our trucks come through after many people have shoveled their sidewalk. We are finishing plowing and/or pushing snow back from where parked cars have been moved.